Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roadhog

How far can you take a D5?

21 posts in this topic

I've read various posts from people who had their D5 tuned and they all seem to be very pleased.

But...... Is it really as good as a T5? Or is it just a fast diesel, Ok but not quite the same? What about the noise?

I know that he who must not be named from another forum ;) had his done but didn't like it. What about the rest of you?

What is the difference between a remap and a sportmap? Are there any other options?

Honest opinions please, although I fear it is already too late......

How far will a D5 go? About 2 miles when you put a tank load of petrol in. ;);)

The only way will be for you to have a go in one. The MPG is double, that is a fact. I have got used to my sportmap and its been five months since I sold my standard T5 but I thought at the time of getting it mapped that it was nearly as good as the standard T5 except for the extra torque and different engine characteristics.

I think I am right in saying there are RICA D5 (off the shelf) maps available at present. I think there will be available in the short term but someone else will let you know.

The D5 euro 3 RICA standard map is: 163BHP and 340Nm to 204BHP 435Nm (advertised figures)

The D5 euro 3 RICA sport map is: 163BHP and 340Nm to 210BHP 475Nm (advertised figures)

Linky

The D5 has a nicer exhaust tone IMO but it is still "quiet".

Even thought you effectively get half price fuel, due to the extra price of the second hand D5's, especially V70's, the extra premium may take some considerable time to off set the initial cost. But I love the remapped D5 and not having to refill at every filling station is a big bonus IMO. :lol:

EDIT.

That should have been...

I think I am right in saying there are only RICA D5 (off the shelf) maps available at present. I think there will be other maufacturers D5 maps which will be available in the short term but someone else will let you know.

A standard 163 bhp D5 is quiet and pretty quick to 120mph on private road in Scotland:) as i discovered only let down was the Pirelli tyres..

put petrol in d5,s so they blow up

then transplant a t5 engine

derv is only good for generators and bbq,s lol

Diesel on a BBQ? Hmm, not sure about that. I do use cooking oil in my Merc though.

How far will a D5 go? About 2 miles when you put a tank load of petrol in. :lol::(

The only way will be for you to have a go in one. The MPG is double, that is a fact. I have got used to my sportmap and its been five months since I sold my standard T5 but I thought at the time of getting it mapped that it was nearly as good as the standard T5 except for the extra torque and different engine characteristics.

I think I am right in saying there are RICA D5 (off the shelf) maps available at present. I think there will be available in the short term but someone else will let you know.

The D5 euro 3 RICA standard map is: 163BHP and 340Nm to 204BHP 435Nm (advertised figures)

The D5 euro 3 RICA sport map is: 163BHP and 340Nm to 210BHP 475Nm (advertised figures)

Linky

The D5 has a nicer exhaust tone IMO but it is still "quiet".

Even thought you effectively get half price fuel, due to the extra price of the second hand D5's, especially V70's, the extra premium may take some considerable time to off set the initial cost. But I love the remapped D5 and not having to refill at every filling station is a big bonus IMO. :lol:

I can agree with all of that.

The engine characteristics bit is the issue. A petrol engine likes to be revved and a diesel doesn't, but you probably know that!

I am now used to driving my D5 and can keep it on the boil but when I get back in my Rica'd Passat 1.8T I struggle to make progress.

Give one a go and see what you think that's all I can recommend.

The only reason I'm in a D5 and not s T5 is the 20K+ mileage I do a year has cost me half the amount in fuel costs than it would have done in a T5.

No matter how careful I drove in A road motoring I wouldn't get over 22mpg in my R. My D5 is doing 42mpg and that's driving as quick as I can when I can.

My D5 has been very reliable except for a new clutch and is a superb mile muncher. Go for premium sound and SE spec, it's a very nice place to be.

Andy

I've got a manual D5, I wish I'd tried a geartronic version as you get to fifth gear quickly. I just think the engine would suit an auto box.

I agree about the geartronic,i think it would suit the engine.One thing that you will notice is the shocking lack of traction,its the little orange triangles job to come on as much as possible lol,even with decent tyres,i would hate to think what a chipped one would be like!

Other than that the brakes are strong but lack feel,infact everything lacks feel,but that is somhow ok because it adds to the relaxed feel,one bit that does bug me though is it has no feel on initail turn in,ok in the dry but not in the wet,its been back twice so volvo could check the tracking to try and help this.Inside is great for long trip but if you want a sporty derv i would look at a BMW 330d tbh.

New here, but had to reply. :D

Here's my old Volvo S60 2.4D man. -02. Originally 130hp, 280Nm(IIRC). Now 251hp, 535Nm(restricted).

1jlyjn.jpg

This was just easy as I have 2.5TDI with 350hp, 700Nm. (It's the same engine as in older diesel Volvos)

You can see it here on a 1/4-mile. 14,53s @158,88kmh with 2000kg:

Here's my old Volvo S60 2.4D man. -02. Originally 130hp, 280Nm(IIRC). Now 251hp, 535Nm(restricted).

what was done to get that ?

oh, and welcome from the land of leurre rapala.

kez

one bit that does bug me though is it has no feel on initail turn in

dunno why i'm even attempting to suggest anything to you oh great one :D;) but wouldn't tyres make a difference? something with a stiff sidewall perhaps?

1jlyjn.jpg

This was just easy as I have 2.5TDI with 350hp, 700Nm. (It's the same engine as in older diesel Volvos)

You can see it here on a 1/4-mile. 14,53s @158,88kmh with 2000kg:

Thats VERY VERY impressive, what was done to get that, who did it, and how much?

..... but when I get back in my Rica'd Passat 1.8T I struggle to make progress.

I have a REVO'd Passat 1.8T (225 at the crank, 207 at the wheels) and that easily embarasses a lot of people. What power did the Rica bring to yours? You should have no probs making progress!

so sorry to the OP for going off subject. but WTF HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY SIG YOU BASTIDS!!!! ;):D

so sorry to the OP for going off subject. but WTF HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY SIG YOU BASTIDS!!!! ;):D

Your car has been Irf'd :P

If Hammy sees it I think he might think you are taking the "P" and cut your bonnot cable :P

:P:P:D:D:D:D

kez

what was done to get that ?

oh, and welcome from the land of leurre rapala.

kez

We also make Nokia phones. :D

Well, the car was faster than my S60 2.5T AWD AT -04 (dynoed 300hp, 450Nm with T19 and 0,7bar in the same dyno). It averaged 6,15L/100km on the HW with constant 100kmh.

Mods:

- 7-hole injectors from newer D5(185hp)

- Hybrid turbo (gt2260v wheels inside original housing)

- custom tubing + big intercooler

- 3" DP + 2,5" exhaust (no cat)

- Heico diff

- Remapped and dynoed by Mika Karala

This was my wife's car so I didn't went further. Now that car is sold and my 2.5T is at Mika's. I'm waiting 450-500hp and 600Nm(restricted)... or a big bang... BTW, it doesn't have a T19 anymore. ;)

Getting 300hp out of 2.4D (which is basically a D5 with different program) should be easy. I'd use gt2260v from BMW as it is, a 5-1 ex manifold, ported head with custom cams. After those mods it's just up to fueling.

sorry mate, have I missed something :P:P

We also make Nokia phones. :D

Well, the car was faster than my S60 2.5T AWD AT -04 (dynoed 300hp, 450Nm with T19 and 0,7bar in the same dyno). It averaged 6,15L/100km on the HW with constant 100kmh.

Mods:

- 7-hole injectors from newer D5(185hp)

- Hybrid turbo (gt2260v wheels inside original housing)

- custom tubing + big intercooler

- 3" DP + 2,5" exhaust (no cat)

- Heico diff

- Remapped and dynoed by Mika Karala

This was my wife's car so I didn't went further.

Getting 300hp out of 2.4D (which is basically a D5 with different program) should be easy. I'd use gt2260v from BMW as it is, a 5-1 ex manifold, ported head with custom cams. After those mods it's just up to fueling.

thats amazing, thanks for that.

did it have any fueling problems, black smoke and the like ?

one last thing.

who is mika karala ?

kez

thats amazing, thanks for that.

did it have any fueling problems, black smoke and the like ?

one last thing.

who is mika karala ?

kez

When you get deeper in the diesel engine upgrading, you will notice that it's always the air or the fueling that limits power. If you get more air to the engine, it won't help if you don't get more fuel to burn (ok, there's a little benefit in direct injection engines because of burning). Then there's injection window, which means how long it takes the fuel to get to the combustion process. This is critical too.

The above means that almost every diesel ends up smoking when pushed to the limit. Not air enough, too long injection time. Only one I know is a MB 300TD -89 which didn't smoke at all. It made 432hp, 600Nm(restricted) in the same dyno. The car is still a project as I believe we can get over 500hp out of it, after we find something stronger for the powerline.

About smoking, you should always try to avoid excess smoking in high rev area. That means high EGT and obiviously high EMP (exhaust manifold pressure). They go hand-in-hand.

My old car was reprogrammed to smoke a little, so anyone could tell it's a diesel. Adding more fuel would mean about 5-10hp more, but the risks would rise exponentially.

Mika is my friend and his shop is about 350km from my location. He's a guru in my opinion and nobody else is going to do my programs. He can do things that other programmers are dreaming about. I know he does all the difficult custom cars for ATP (USA), but I don't know if he has a reseller in GB.

Edited by shadowmaker

mika seems a good man on the diesels.

all the best with your project, keep us posted on its progress ok ?

kez